Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
The Reichow CRP Property
Price $ 200,000.00
Along Basket Mountain road, approximately eight miles Southeast of Milton-Freewater, OR, The Reichow property contains 189.35± deeded acres. The property consists of 103.18 acres that are tillable and the remaining 86.17± acres are rangeland. Currently, 96± acres of the property are enrolled into the Conservation Reserve Program and produce an annual payment of $9,907.00± dollars. The property has potential for a residential site right next to Couse Creek, which flows along the property. The soils are comprised mostly of highly productive Palouse series and Waha series soils within the tillable acres. The property has no outbuildings. Located in the Walla Walla unit, the property qualifies for Land Owner Preference tags. Deer, elk and upland birds migrate throughout the property. Additional farm and range ground may be bought with this property. Please ask the listing brokers for further details.
The Reichow property is approximately eight miles southeast of Milton-Freewater, OR. The property resides between Basket Mountain Road and Couse Creek.
The property can be accessed from Highway 11 onto Blue Mountain Station road, and then south onto Basket Mountain road. The property is approximately 2.5 miles down Basket Mountain Road. The property also can be accessed from Couse Creek Road.
Distances to Other Cities:
Walla Walla, WA – 17± Miles
Legal Identification of Subject Property:
4N3600-00-00901- (189.35 Acres)
Total: 189.35± Acres
United States Department of Agriculture – Farm Service Agency
Farm – 7,390
According to the FSA 156EZ forms, the property has a total of 103.18 tillable production acres. Of the 103.18 acres, currently, 96± acres are enrolled in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) through 9/30/2023. The annual rental rate per acre for 96± acres is $103.20. The annual contract payment is $9,907.00±.
Based on the Soil Conservation Service’s Soil Survey of Umatilla County, the major soil types on the property are Palouse silt loam and Waha silty clay loam. Palouse silt loam with 35% or less slope makes up a little over half of the property and Waha silty clay loam with 25% less slope makes up approximately a quarter of the property. The remaining soil type is mixed with Bowlus-Buckcreek association as the predominate type. Soil depths range from deep to moderately deep.
Currently the property has no building improvements; however, the property does meet the minimum acreage requirements to be built on.
Power is provided by the City of Milton-Freewater and begins at the county road adjacent to the property.
Couse Creek flows along portions of the property.
2016-2017 Taxes Total – $650.97
The subject property qualifies for two Landowner Preference (LOP) tags within the Walla Walla Unit under the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife guidelines. Elk, deer and upland game birds are the primary hunting recreation aspect. (Additional rules may apply, as the property is within a limited LOP hunting unit-see the ODFW Big Game Hunting Regulations book or call the local Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife located in Pendleton, Oregon, at 541-276-2344.)
The tilled portions of the property are gently sloping to sloped farm ground, which is typical of the area. Draws and slope make up the main portion of the property, which is estimated to be approximately 1,900 to 2,100 feet above sea level.
Climate and Rainfall:
In Milton-Freewater, Oregon summers are warm and winters are cold. The growing season or average frost-free period is about 135-170 days annually. Where the property is located the average rainfall is approximately 20” to 26” per annum. Further detailed weather information for Milton-Freewater, Oregon is available from the National Weather Service website back to 2011.
The owner does not warrant there are any mineral rights available. However, any mineral or geothermal rights owned by the seller are included as part of the property offered for sale.
Property is zoned EFU, exclusive farm use. For complete zoning information, contact the Umatilla County Planning Department at 541-278-6252.
§ 152.055 DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE
The purposes of the EFU, Exclusive Farm Use Zone, are to preserve and maintain agricultural lands for farm use, including range and grazing uses, consistent with existing and future needs for agricultural products, forest and open spaces; to conserve and protect scenic resources; to maintain and improve the quality of air, water and land resources of the county and to establish criteria and standards for farm uses and related and supportive uses which are deemed appropriate. It is also the purpose of this use zone to provide the automatic farm use valuation for farms, which qualify under the provisions of ORS Chapter 308. The provisions in this use zone are subject to automatic legislative amendments as described in §152.004. (Ord. 2005=02, passed 1-5-2005)
The Umatilla County School District offers education from kindergarten through high school (K-12) in the town of Milton-Freewater.
Town of Milton-Freewater:
Milton and Freewater began as two separate cities. The area is rich in history, and a short account of the beginning of the two towns and development is described below.
In 1872, W. S. Frazier laid off a town site on part of the Frazier property, gave a man by the name of Woodward 1½ acres on the west side of Main Street as a site for a hotel, and sold John Miller 15 acres and a water right for $125 to build a grist mill. The mill machinery contained three runs of stone burrs. In 1873 M.V. Wormington built the first residence in the platted area. By general community consent, the town name of Milton was selected in an application for a post office. Milton was on its way to a rather enviable reputation of conservative social life, especially regarding spiritual affairs, sobriety and a high standard of education.
Horticulture was one of the profitable enterprises of the first settlers. From the beginning, the product found a ready and profitable market. A long-growing season combined with ample water and fertile soil made a production of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables easy. William S. Frazier planted a large part of his acreage to tree fruits and berries.
By 1882 Milton had a population of 400 and boasted two general stores, two drug stores, one variety store, one millinery store, a hotel, a restaurant, three saloons, three livery and feed stables, one undertaker’s shop, and many more shops. It also had a flour mill, a planer, chop, and shingle mill, a hall, a flume, a railroad station, school house, two churches, post office and express office. In 1886 the town Board of Trustees established a city government and incorporated under the name of Milton City.
The establishment of Freewater is credited to a group of men who in 1889, dissatisfied with the way things were going in Milton--one main reason being the prohibition of sales of alcoholic beverages--decided to start a sister town. The late H. H. Hanson, a Touchet farmer, was one of the “dozen-odd” people who met shortly before the turn of the century to name Freewater. “I went to Milton in 1889”, said Hanson in an interview shortly before his death, “ . . . as the depot agent for the Northern Pacific railroad, and by that time ‘Freewater’ had had its start.” A man named Mahana – “a visionary sort of man who wanted to do big things” – had laid out a town site north of the depot when Hanson arrived.
After operating separate cities for so many years and growing closer together over the course of those years, servicemen returning from World War II resolved to do something about a possible merger, which had been a topic of conversation for a long time. J.T. Monahan was elected chairman of the newly formed Consolidation Club. Achieving consolidation was no easy matter as feelings still ran high with many persons, and the committee worked very hard to encourage the merger. Under state law, the majority of voters in each of the two communities had to favor consolidation. In November 1950 the election was held and a new city was born. The votes cast were: Freewater - 240 for consolidation, 204 against; Milton - 464 for consolidation, 167 against. The communities became the City of Milton-Freewater, ending a duplication of governmental services in the two adjoining communities extending over a period of 61 years. J.L. Yantis was elected the first Mayor of Milton-Freewater.
Umatilla County was created on September 27, 1862, out of a portion of Wasco County. Umatilla is an Indian term meaning “rippling water” or “water rippling over sand” and has provided the name both for the county and its major river. Lewis and Clark and pioneers traveling the Oregon Trail passed through the area. The gold rush of 1862 brought miners and stock raisers to the mountains and grasslands of Umatilla County. The county expanded after the coming of the railroad in 1881 and the area was open to the development of dry land wheat farming. The fertile land of Umatilla County gives a strongly agricultural base to the county’s economy. Fruit, grain, timber, cattle, and sheep are important agricultural products. Recreation, primarily in the Blue Mountains, and tourism, most notably for the annual Pendleton Round-Up rodeo, are also important to the local economy.
Christopher D. Stuvland, Broker
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.