Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
Tucannon River Property
Columbia County, Washington
Price $ 650,000
The Tucannon River property is in Columbia County, Washington, located in the heart of the famous Palouse. The Palouse is the most serene and pastoral of the seven wonders of Washington State. It is the region of south eastern Washington characterized by gentle rolling hills covered with wheat fields. The Palouse hills are not only a landscape unique in the world, they are beautiful, and this property is in the heart of the Palouse with the Tucannon River running through the property. This property is a 25-minute drive from Dayton, Washington.
Columbia County, Washington
Currently, the property has 67 acres in wheat production with an FSA average yield of 63 bushels to the acre. There are 50 acres of surface water rights on the property.
Currently, there are 55.22 acres enrolled in CRP with a rental rate per acre of $178.28. This contract expires in 2031 and annual income from the CRP payment is $9,403.00.
Off the Tucannon Road, and King’s Grade Road
Distances to Other Cities:
Dayton, WA- 21 miles
The property contains a barn that is 33”x31”
There is power located on the property that is servicing the Hay Barn.
Tucannon River and springs
Historically cattle have be grazed on the property.
The property is completely fenced. The CRP and tillable farm land is fenced to keep the cattle out.
Average Rainfall for the area is 19.05 inches per year. A wet day is one with at least 0.04 inches of liquid or liquidequivalent precipitation. The chance of wet days in Dayton varies throughout the year.
The wetter season lasts 7.4 months, from October 20 to June 1, with a greater than 21% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 36% on November 28.
The drier season lasts 4.6 months, from June 1 to October 20. The smallest chance of a wet day is 7% on August 2.
Among wet days, we distinguish between those that experience rain alone, snow alone, or a mixture of the two. Based on this categorization, the most common form of precipitation throughout the year is rain alone, with a peak probability of 31% on November 10.
In Dayton, the summers are short, hot, dry, and mostly clear and the winters are very cold and mostly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 28°F to 89°F and is rarely below 15°F or above 98°F.
The hot season lasts for 2.7 months, from June 21 to September 10, with an average daily high temperature above 79°F. The hottest day of the year is August 2, with an average high of 89°F and low of 60°F.
The cold season lasts for 3.3 months, from November 13 to February 22, with an average daily high temperature below 47°F. The coldest day of the year is December 23, with an average low of 28°F and high of 36°F.
2018 Real Estate Taxes $1,102.91
The property is zoned County Ag Irrigated Zone 30 & County Ag Unimproved Ground All Crop Zones
Any mineral or geothermal rights owned by the seller are included as part of the property being offered for sale.
Recreation and Wildlife:
Upland birds, Turkeys, Mule Deer, and Whitetail Deer are abundant throughout the property. Fishing on the Tucannon River is well known. Steelhead and bull trout may be caught, following prescribed fishing restrictions. The accessible areas of the Tucannon River are popular fishing areas. The Tucannon winds through national forest, state, and private lands, some of which are in stretches open to fishing. There are eight fishing ponds open to public fishing developed by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and routinely stocked. Rainbow, Deer, Blue, Spring, Curl, Beaver, Watson and fly fishing-only Big Four Lake make up these trout-catching opportunities. Fishing access can also be gained at the Tucannon Fish Hatchery, where the river is bordered by state or national forest land.
The Tucannon Campground is operated by the U.S. Forest Service in the Tucannon River Valley as one of 15 campgrounds in the Pomeroy Ranger District.
Washington State Parks operates Camp Wooten Retreat Center on the upper Tucannon River. The center, near Pomeroy, offers cabins, dining and meeting halls, and other accommodations for large groups. Activities include hiking, canoeing on Donnie Lake, swimming in an indoor pool, archery, softball, tennis, and basketball.
Bluewood Ski Resort is 21 miles from the property.
Tucannon River History:
Native People The lower Snake River was home to bands of the Palouse and other Sahaptin-speaking people, including Nez Perce, Yakama, Walla Walla, Umatilla, and Wanapum. The Blue Mountains formed the western part of a 17,000,000-acre (69,000 km2) region traditional to the aboriginal Nimi’ipuu people, renamed Nez Perce by Lewis and Clark when they arrived in the region in 1805. The horse was central to the lives of both the Palouse and the Nez Perce.
The Nez Perce Trail followed part of the Touchet and Tucannon rivers, extending east from Wallula and reaching the Touchet below Waitsburg. From there it followed the southern bank of the Touchet River to present day Dayton. Here it crossed the river and followed Patit Creek northeast.
Lewis and Clark Expedition
On October 12, 1805, after a difficult passage through Snake River rapids, Lewis and Clark passed through a shorter rapid just east of the mouth of the Tucannon. Lewis wrote, “This we called Kimooenim creek”. The expedition did not stop, but continued down the Snake in dugouts. On their return trip to St. Louis on May 2, 1806, Lewis and Clark followed the Nez Perce Trail, crossing over from Patit Creek about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) east of present-day Dayton to meet the Tucannon. Only 12 miles (19 km) beyond their campsite they reached the stream.
This creek rises in the southwest [Blue] mountains, and though only 12 yards wide discharges a considerable body of water into Lewis’ river (the Snake River), a few miles above the narrows. Its bed is pebbled, its narrow bottoms are where they found some cottonwood, willow and the underbrush which grows equally on the east branch of the Wollawollah [Touchet].
Lewis and Clark camped on the Pataha Creek (a tributary to the Tucannon), which is recorded as the first locality for some distance where they were able to find ample firewood.
British Fur Trade
The fur industry was important in the region. The Tucannon River provided a profitable area for beaver and otter trapping, which were abundant. F. A. Shaver’s 1906 book, An Illustrated History of Southeastern Washington, said that prior to 1834 the British Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) (the British fur-trading company) personnel were “undisputed occupants since 1829.” A party was led by John Work, who served as an agent of the HBC. Starting from Fort Nez Perce in September 1831, Work and a 56-person party followed the Nez Perce Trail to the Upper Snake River country.
American Survey and Settlement
In the late winter of 1834, Captain Benjamin Bonneville crossed the Tucannon on the Nez Perce Trail, surveying the Northwest on behalf of the United States government.
A number of wagon roads were built through the area in the 1860s (including one between Walla Walla, Washington, and Lewiston, Idaho, in 1862). Settlers slowly drifted into the Tucannon River area in the 1860s, but in the early 1870s settlement rapidly increased.
In 1848, during the Cayuse War Captain Lawrence Hall’s Company fought an engagement with the Cayuse on the Tucannon River.
Returning to Waiilatpu, the best mounted and equipped of the riflemen, and Hall’s company among them, were selected for an expedition against the Cayuse Indians, whose exact location was at this time unknown. The object was to bring the Indians to terms by some means, by fighting or otherwise, and recapture the stock stolen from the whites. The expedition started about the 10th of March 1848, and after a search of ten days or so found the enemy encamped on Tucannon River, about four miles above its confluence with the Columbia. The enemy adopted the ruse of hoisting a white flag, asked for and had a talk with the troops, anti-pretended not to belong to the hostile party; but, upon the whites taking charge of the stock of the murdered pioneers, which were herding on the adjacent hills, the wily foe threw off the mask, and began an impetuous attack. The troops, greatly outnumbered, fought on the defensive, marching in retreat, formed in a hollow square, to resist the assaults made on all sides. The first night the captured stock was turned loose. The next morning the attack and retreat continued, and the Indians, as the Touchet River crossing was approached, took possession of it, attempting thereby to cutoff the retreat of the troops effectually. Here nothing but the most determined charge and fighting drove off the Indians and enabled the whites to cross that river and thus escape threatened extermination.
Coeur d’Alene War
During the Coeur d’Alene War on August 7, 1858, Captain Erasmus D. Keyes with a detachment of dragoons was ordered to the Snake River to erect a fort at a crossing point near the Palouse River. He selected the mouth of Tucannon River to establish Fort Taylor (a supply depot which honored Captain Oliver H. P. Taylor—killed that same year while he served with Lt. Colonel Edward Steptoe against the Spokanes in April. On August 25 this point served as a crossing point for Colonel George Wright, who led a force of 570 men across the Snake. It took several days to find a path to ascend from the Snake valley into the badlands above; this journey led them to the Battle of Four Lakes on September 5.
The railroad town of Starbuck on the Tucannon River was incorporated in the 1880s. In its early years Starbuck was a division point on the main line of the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company. At one time up to 24 trains a day went through the town. Little Goose Dam, which became operational in 1975 was near Starbuck. It boosted the local population and labor force greatly as construction workers and their families moved into the town.
Blue Sky Wind built the Hopkins Ridge Wind Farm in Columbia County in 2005. Peak output from the project, bought by Puget Sound Energy and transmitted by the Bonneville Power Administration, is 150 megawatts (MW).
History of Columbia County, WA
Columbia County, in southeastern Washington, has a population of 4,064 (in 2000), making it one of the more sparsely populated of Washington’s 39 counties. At 868.8 square miles, it is the ninth-smallest county in the state. It is bordered by Whitman County and the Snake River to the north, Walla Walla County to the west, Garfield County to the east, and the Oregon state line to the south. The mainly agricultural county was carved out of Walla Walla County in 1875. It is known for asparagus, green peas, and especially wheat, with ranching and logging also playing a significant role. Agriculture and food processing still dominate the economy, with manufacturing and government representing the majority of the county’s nonagricultural employment. Dayton, the largest town and county seat, recorded a population of 2,655 in the 2000 Census. Dayton is well known for the historic preservation of its downtown.
Northern Columbia County has rolling hills and valleys, with its lowest elevation of 504 feet on the Snake River on its northern border. Farther south, the terrain becomes rugged and forested, with the Blue Mountains rising to 6,401 feet at Oregon Butte in the southern part of the county.
On October 12 and 13, 1805, Lewis and Clark canoed on the Snake River along the boundary separating Columbia and Whitman counties on the outbound leg of their expedition to the Pacific Ocean. They did not stop in the future Columbia County on the night of October 12, instead opting to spend the night in the future Whitman County at the mouth of Alkali Flat Creek. But on their return trip to St. Louis on May 2, 1806, Lewis and Clark spent the night on Patit Creek about two-and-a-half miles east of present-day (2006) Dayton.
Until 1875 there was no Columbia County, just a large Walla Walla County stretching across southeastern Washington to the Idaho border. In October 1869 the first attempt was made to create a new county from the eastern part of Walla Walla County, but this effort failed. A second effort in 1875 was successful, and Columbia County officially came into existence on November 29, 1875. The eastern border of Columbia County at that time was the Idaho state line, but in November 1881 the eastern part of Columbia County was separated to form Garfield County.
Blue Mountain Cannery was built in Dayton in 1934. At the time, it was one of the largest canneries in the United States. It had its trial run of canning peas on July 20, 1934, and during its first season canned up to 7,500 cases of peas per day. The cannery expanded in 1939 to accommodate asparagus operations.
The Blue Mountain Cannery sold out to the Minnesota Valley Canning Company in 1947, and in 1950 began operating under the Green Giant label. The Green Giant Company was purchased by Pillsbury in 1978 and subsequently bought by Seneca Foods. In June 2005, Seneca Foods announced plans to close the asparagus cannery. Seneca retains much of the facility as part of its seed and agronomic research operation.
The railroad town of Starbuck came into being in the 1880s. Starbuck is located on the Tucannon River about 20 miles northwest of Dayton. In its early years Starbuck was a division point on the main line of the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company. At one time up to 24 trains a day went through the town.
The early pioneers attempted to make cattle and sheep ranching the dominant industry in Columbia County. However, harsh winters and resulting food shortages soon took its toll on livestock.
Wheat farms were established in the county in its earliest years and quickly became the dominant industry. Beginning in the 1890s, technological advances made in the equipment used to harvest wheat made it easier to produce even more wheat.
Logging was another major industry in the first decades of Columbia County’s history. Sawmills were built in the Blue Mountains, where timber was abundant; additional sawmills were built along local county rivers. Logging continued to play a role in the county’s industry until the 1960s, though some logging mill owners made more money by turning to farming.
By the late 1950s, the Lower Snake River Project was underway in southeastern Washington. It involved the construction of four dams on the Snake River, including the Little Goose Dam, which straddles the river between Columbia and Whitman counties.
In July 1981 (on the 100th anniversary of the railroad’s arrival in Dayton), the Depot opened to the public as a heritage building museum. It is the oldest surviving railroad station in Washington.
Columbia County also has the oldest working courthouse in Washington state. Built in Dayton in 1887, it is on theNational Register of Historic Places. It has been maintained throughout the years and was extensively renovated in the early 1990s.
In 1999, the Downtown Dayton Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. This district includes 29 buildings (15 built before 1900) in a four-block area, and 117 buildings in all of Dayton. As the twenty-first century began, Dayton was becoming well known in southeastern Washington for its historical preservation.
Agriculture in Columbia County is also changing with changing times. Wheat, peas, and asparagus continue to be the dominant crops, but now experimental farms are also growing new crops such as garbanzo beans and lawn grass seed.
Dayton, Washington History: Dayton was founded in the 1860s. A town site plat was filed by Jesse N. and Elizabeth Day on November 23, 1871. Dayton was officially incorporated on November 10, 1881 and was named for Jesse Day. Dayton has the oldest train depot (1881) in Washington State and the oldest continuously used courthouse (1887). The historical community of Baileysburg was once located about one mile southeast of Dayton, at the junction of North Touchet and South Touchet Roads.
In the 1980s and 1990s, the town underwent a $3 million restoration program, repairing the historic depot and historic courthouse, adding pedestrian amenities to Main Street, and creating a National Historic District.
There are 3 public schools managed by Dayton School District serving 399 students in Dayton, WA. Minority enrollment is 23% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the Washington state average of 44%. The student: teacher ratio of 11:1 is less than the state average of 19:1.
In Washington your child can attend any school in your district (called intra-district choice) or a neighboring district (inter-district choice). Low-income students are eligible for scholarship funding to attend private schools. Under the federal No Child Left Behind law, students attending a Title I school designated as “in need of improvement” have the right to attend a higher performing school in the district
Dayton School District:
Dayton Elementary School Grades K-6th grade Dayton Middle/High School Grades 7-12
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.