Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
Bowman Development & Farm Property
Price $ 918,085.00
Identification of Subject Property:
5N3500-00-01900 – 280 Acres
Distances to Other Cities:
Walla Walla, WA – 16± Miles
An approximate 100 +/- acres are potential development ground that is within the city’s urban growth boundary (UGB). Development or city expansion has expanded on an adjacent property where Sykes Call Center and Dunning Irrigation have been developed along Hwy 11. The subject property can be seen from Hwy 11, which is a major highway between Walla Walla, WA to Pendleton, OR. The property has been designated for future residential development or multi-use. Buyer to confirm all potential development information with county within their due diligence period when making an offer.
Topography, Elevation, Growing Season and Rainfall:
The Bowman Development & Farm Property:
Total Deeded: 280.00+/- Acres
Potential Opportunities of Additional Revenue:
Town of Milton-Freewater:
Milton and Freewater began as two separate cities. The area is rich in history and a short account of the beginning of the two towns and development is described below.
In 1872, W. S. Frazier laid off a town site on part of the Frazier property, gave a man by the name of Woodward 1½ acres on the west side of Main Street as a site for a hotel, and sold John Miller 15 acres and a water right for $125 to build a grist mill. The mill machinery contained three runs of stone burrs. In 1873 M.V. Wormington built the first residence in the platted area. By general community consent, the town name of Milton was selected in an application for a post office. Milton was on its way to a rather enviable reputation of conservative social life, especially regarding spiritual affairs, sobriety and a high standard of education.
Horticulture was one of the profitable enterprises of the first settlers. From the beginning, the product found a ready and profitable market. A long growing season, combined with ample water and fertile soil made a production of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables easy. William S. Frazier planted a large part of his acreage to tree fruits and berries.
By 1882 Milton had a population of 400 and boasted two general stores, two drug stores, one variety store, one millinery store, a hotel, a restaurant, three saloons, three livery and feed stables, one undertaker’s shop, and many more shops. It also had a flour mill, a planer, chop, and shingle mill, a hall, a flume, a railroad station, school house, two churches, post office and express office. In 1886 the town Board of Trustees established a city government and incorporated under the name of Milton City.
The establishment of Freewater is credited to a group of men who in 1889, dissatisfied with the way things were going in Milton--one main reason being the prohibition of sales of alcoholic beverages--decided to start a sister town. The late H. H. Hanson, a Touchet farmer, was one of the “dozen-odd” people who met shortly before the turn of the century to name Freewater. “I went to Milton in 1889”, said Hanson in an interview shortly before his death, “…as the depot agent for the Northern Pacific railroad, and by that time ‘Freewater’ had had its start.” A man named Mahana – “a visionary sort of man who wanted to do big things” – had laid out a town site north of the depot when Hanson arrived.
After operating separate cities for so many years, and growing closer together over the course of those years, servicemen returning from World War II resolved to do something about a possible merger, which had been a topic of conversation for a long time. J.T. Monahan was elected chairman of the newly formed Consolidation Club. Achieving consolidation was no easy matter as feelings still ran high with many persons, and the committee worked very hard to encourage the merger. Under state law, the majority of voters in each of the two communities had to favor consolidation. In November 1950 the election was held and a new city was born. The votes cast were: Freewater - 240 for consolidation, 204 against; Milton - 464 for consolidation, 167 against. The communities became the City of Milton-Freewater, ending a duplication of governmental services in the two adjoining communities extending over a period of 61 years. J.L. Yantis was elected the first Mayor of Milton-Freewater.
Umatilla County was created on September 27, 1862, out of a portion of Wasco County. Umatilla is an Indian term meaning “rippling water” or “water rippling over sand” and has provided the name both for the county and its major river. Lewis and Clark and pioneers traveling the Oregon Trail passed through the area. The gold rush of 1862 brought miners and stock raisers to the mountains and grasslands of Umatilla County. The county expanded after the coming of the railroad in 1881 and the area was open to the development of dry land wheat farming. The fertile land of Umatilla County gives a strongly agricultural base to the county’s economy. Fruit, grain, timber, cattle, and sheep are important agricultural products. Recreation, primarily in the Blue Mountains, and tourism, most notably for the annual Pendleton Round-Up rodeo, are also important to the local economy.
Christopher D. Stuvland, Broker
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.