Whitney Land Company Logo 

Whitney Land Company
101 SE Third
P.O. Box 1614
Pendleton, Oregon 97801
Phone: 541-278-4444

Coombs Canyon CRP Ranch

Pendleton, Oregon

Price  $625,000.00

Property Overview:

The Coombs Canyon Ranch contains 1,433.23 acres located 15 miles southwest of Pendleton.  Access is provided by Coombs Canyon Road (county), which runs along the majority of the southern boundary and also bisects a small portion of the property.  The total acres include 425.80 acres of dry cropland which is currently enrolled in CRP.  There are 5 acres around the improvements, and the remaining 1,002.43 acres are considered rangeland.

Location:

15 miles southwest of Pendleton, Oregon.

Access:

Access is provided by nine miles of county gravel roads from Interstate 84.

Distances to Other Cities:

 Pendleton: 15 miles
Portland: 196 miles
Bend: 240 miles
Seattle: 265 miles
Boise: 230 miles

Conservation Reserve Program:

The CRP contract for the 425.80 acres is enrolled through 9/30/2022. The rental rate is $53.92 per acre providing an annual income of $22,959.13. An existing farm lease specifies the landlord shall receive 50% of the annual income.

Cropland:

Historically, the dry cropland is considered to have fair field patterns due to the field size and lay-out. Typically farm practices include a two-year summer fallow rotation with average yields in the 35-40 bu/ac range. The farm contains perimeter fencing and some cross fencing that varies in condition. The CRP lands are not fenced separately from the rangeland.

Communication Tower Leases:

The subject property includes multiple tower site leases as outlined below:

OPB Tower Lease –

The term of this lease is from May 1st, 2016 to April 30th, 2021. The lessee is to pay the lessor an annual lease fee of $4,000.00, which is due and payable by May 1st of each year. A copy of the lease is available to qualified buyers.

ODOT Tower Lease –

The original term of this lease terminated on April 30th, 2012, but the renewal option was reportedly exercised for an additional 10-year period lasting until April 30th, 2022. The renewal term includes an increase on the original rent to $8,700.00 annually for years (2018-2022). Annual rent payments are to be made on or before April 1st of each year. A copy of the lease is available to qualified buyers.

Gehrke Tower Site Lease –

This lease expires May 25th, 2045. This lease provides no income to the subject property.

Water:

Livestock water is available at the farmstead along with a shallow livestock well located near an older set of corrals along Coombs Canyon Road. A developed spring exists at the western portion of the property. There is a hand dug domestic well and a water storage cistern.

Farm Lease:

The farm has been leased out through 1/23/2023. The lease calls for the lessee to be responsible for all the cost associated with the CRP contract and shall receive any reimbursements of cost, including government funding. The property owner and lessee share the income on a 50-50 basis. One acre of CRP has been removed at the owner’s request, in which the owner will compensate the lessee by reducing the rangeland rent to $650 annually for the duration of the CRP contract.

Recreation:

The general area provides many recreational opportunities. The Columbia River and other smaller rivers and lakes are utilized for fishing, boating and water sports. The area also provides hunting opportunities with respect to deer, elk, waterfowl and upland game birds due to the proximity to the Blue Mountains and national forest. The subject property qualifies for 3 Land Owner Preference (LOP) tags within the Columbia Basin Unit. Further information can be found at: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/controlled_hunts/landowner.asp

Improvements:

Home:

The 1.5-story home has 1,064 square feet. There are 728 square feet on the main floor and 336 square feet upstairs along with an additional 480 square feet included in an attached but separate living area/bunkhouse.
The home also has a partial unfinished basement with a dirt floor where the hot water is located. The home has a concrete foundation, horizontal wood lap siding, older wood and aluminum windows, metal roofing on the south side and wood shake roofing on the north side of the house.
The interior includes a modest kitchen (no built-ins), dining/living room, one bedroom and a full bathroom. Floor coverings include carpet, wood laminate, soft wood, and linoleum. There is a wood stove in the living room that is the main heat source with electric baseboards also being utilized. Interior walls are primarily wood paneling with some sheet rock and lathe and plaster. The upstairs contains one bedroom and a common area. The separate living quarters is attached by a covered breezeway and contains a main room, one bedroom and a three-quarter bath.

Outbuildings:

Barn:

2,500-square-foot, 50’x50’ loft barn with a concrete foundation, wood exterior and metal roofing, livestock stalls and hay storage in the loft.

Storage Building:

30’x36’ with a concrete foundation, wood exterior and metal roofing

Utility Building:

24’x36’ metal clad pole building with a concrete floor, insulated roof and electrical service.

Corrals:

An older set of livestock corrals exist.

Soils:

The primary soil types on the tillable acreage include Condon silt loam, Cantala silt loam, Lickskillet very stony loam and Condon-Bakeoven complex.

Climate/Elevation/Rainfall:

In Pendleton, Oregon, summers are warm and winters are cold. In the summer months, the average temperatures are 77.5-86 degrees and in the winter months, the average temperatures are 25-28.5 degrees. The average annual precipitation is about 12.63 inches.

Property Taxes:

2017 - $2,542.00

Zoning:

Currently zoned EFU § 152.055 DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE. The purposes of the EFU, Exclusive Farm Use Zone, are to preserve and maintain agricultural lands for farm use, including range and grazing uses, consistent with existing and future needs for agricultural products, forest and open spaces; to conserve and protect scenic resources; to maintain and improve the quality of air, water and land resources of the county and to establish criteria and standards for farm uses and related and supportive uses which are deemed appropriate.
It is also the purpose of this use zone to provide the automatic farm use valuation for farms, which qualify under the provisions of ORS Chapter 308. The provisions in this use zone are subject to automatic legislative amendments as described in §152.004. (Ord. 2005=02, passed 1-5-2005)

Mineral Rights:

Any and all mineral rights on the property owned by the seller are included in the sale.

Area Information:

City of Pendleton, Oregon:

The mission of the City of Pendleton is to protect the public health, safety, and quality of life; encourage economic vitality and opportunity; respect diversity and seek efficiency in the use of resources. The Pendleton Chamber of Commerce, our friendly merchants and 17,515 citizens, and our friends of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, will do everything possible to see that you have a most enjoyable and relaxing visit in the greater Pendleton area.
Pendleton is rich in heritage and world famous for the original Pendleton Woolen Mills, along with the Pendleton Round-Up and Happy Canyon show. We urge you to visit Pendleton Underground Tours, which is rapidly becoming one of the premier tourist attractions in the Pacific Northwest and to date has had visitors from over 100 foreign countries.
We recommend a visit to the Umatilla County Courthouse to view the recently dedicated clock tower and to admire the 100-year-old Seth Thomas clockworks. And check out the Pendleton Convention Center for your organization’s next convention, meeting or trade show. Just as the travelers on the Old Oregon Trail paused and rested here before going on to the Willamette Valley and other points, we hope you will pause, rest and relax during your stay, as you will find the Pendleton area rich in the warmth and friendliness of the old west. As we say in Pendleton, “Let ‘er Buck!”
The City of Pendleton, as a municipal corporation, has a proud history in terms of the service levels provided to our citizens. The services of ambulance, library, planning, police and fire protection, parks, water and sewer utilities, airport, building codes and zoning administration, and street maintenance all have a direct effect on our quality of life here in Pendleton.
The City of Pendleton proudly continues to move forward with an eye to the future while maintaining a keen awareness of the need to maintain the infrastructure and livability of Pendleton.

History of Pendleton, Oregon:

The historical city of Pendleton had its beginning in the early 1860s, when Moses Goodwin purchased land from a squatter for one span of horses. In 1868, the Umatilla County Court (established six years earlier) had a three-member selection committee to determine a site for the County Buildings. The site selected was between Birch and Wildhorse Creek, to be named Pendleton, in honor of Senator George H. Pendleton of Ohio (1864 vice presidential candidate for the United States). In December of that year, Moses Goodwin and his wife deeded 2 ½ acres of land to the county, from which the original town was platted on December 18, 1868. Pendleton was officially incorporated on October 25, 1880, with a population of 730 inhabitants. The early days found the citizens of Pendleton involved in many construction activities. A City Hall was constructed in 1908. The Umatilla River levy and the water transmission line were completed around 1915. The early Council minutes and ordinances reflect the colorful history of Pendleton. The first ordinance of the city dealt directly with drunkenness in public places, fights, and discharging of guns within the city limits. There are also accounts in the City Council minutes about Council members having to wade through knee deep mud and sewage from the inadequate septic tank drainage within the city. These major public works problems were overcome through the concerted efforts of citizens and through many trips, by the Mayor of Pendleton, to Salem to encourage the state legislature to allow the city to increase the debt limits of the city.
With the construction of a City Hall at 34 S.E. Dorion in 1908, all city services, including the police and fire departments, and the school district, were centralized in one structure. This close working relationship continued into the early 1950s, at which time the school district moved to its own administration offices. City Hall then housed the administration offices, water department, police department, and fire department. Later, the fire department relocated to two manned fire stations, one on S.W. Court Avenue and the other on Southgate. A third station is located at the airport, providing flight stand-by services. The police department moved to 109 S.W. Court in 1990.
In 1910, local attorney Roy Raley, who had an excellent flare for theatrics, decided to have a rodeo after harvest, and the famous Pendleton Round-Up was born. The show was such a success that property was purchased and permanent buildings and grounds were constructed to hold the annual event. The slogan “Let’er Buck” was adopted as the Round- Up byline. The traditional event is held annually in the second week in September and now draws over 50,000 people. Additionally, the Happy Canyon Pageant, under Mr. Raley’s direction, started as the “Night Show.”

Pendleton is adjacent to the Umatilla Indian Reservation. In May, 1855, five Indian tribes of Eastern Oregon and Washington territory met in Walla Walla to make a treaty with government officials. That treaty is known as the Treaty of 1855 and resulted in the formation of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Reservation.

Pendleton, like many communities in Oregon, was hard hit by the Depression of the 1930s. During the Depression, city employees took a cut in pay and the situation became so desperate that the City printed and issued scrip to be redeemed at local stores by City employees. Apparently, the scrip was very successful since it appears the city somehow made money during the period it issued the scrip.

World War II brought a great deal of development to the Pendleton airport. Runways were expanded, housing added, a sewer and water system established, all to prepare for the training of American pilots who served overseas. Jimmy Dolittle Raiders trained at the Pendleton airport. Many of the structures and improvements built during the war are still visible at the airport today. The airport and surrounding property was turned over to the city after the war, and now houses the Eastern Oregon Regional Airport with approximately 13,000 enplanements a year.

A major change occurred in the city’s organization in 1948 when the community adopted a Council/Manager form of government. Since 1948, there have been eleven City Managers, and the Council/Manager structure provides that all City employees work for the City Manager and the City Manager works for the City Council. The Council/Manager form of government assumes municipal operation can be run like a business and the City Manager serves as the general manager of this business. All city residents are encouraged to attend City Council meetings, which are the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 7:00 p.m., to see the operation of this form of government in action.

In September 1994, voters approved a 2.95 million dollar general obligation bond issue to convert the Helen McCune Junior High School to a City Hall and library. The City relocated to the building during November 1996. The City Hall at 34 S.E. Dorion was sold for private development. The Carnegie building, which housed the Library at 214 North Main, was leased to the Pendleton Arts Council.

The relocation of the City to the former Helen McCune Junior High Building brings a strong community emphasis to the 400 and 500 blocks of S.W. Dorion Avenue. The structures include the Vert building, City Hall and library, and a gymnasium. There are community meeting rooms and the Council Chambers/Municipal Court Room housed at this location.

Pendleton Round-Up History:

The first Pendleton Round-Up was to be “a frontier exhibition of picturesque pastimes, Indian and military spectacles, cowboy racing and bronco busting for the championship of the Northwest.” It turned out to be that and more.
For the initial show, all stores closed. “The largest crowd in Pendleton’s history,” 7,000 strong, showed up for the first show on September 29, 1910, a newspaper writer reported. “The words ‘Pendleton’ and Round-Up’ are on the lips of thousands and will continue to be for months and years to come… The Round-Up is a whirlwind success.”
Two decades later, patrons showed up from 36 states and eight foreign countries. Following two years in which the Round-Up was not held because of World War II, attendance climbed again, eventually reaching 50,000 or more for the four-day show. “Success bred success and Round-Up stayed in high gear,” as stated in the book “Let’er buck!: A history of the Pendleton Round-Up.”
The key to the success of the rodeo and its many attendant activities is community participation through the efforts of its many volunteers. Native American participation has also been a strong attraction, whether in the Round-Up arena, at Happy Canyon, in the Indian Village or the Westward Ho! Parade. Long before women’s lib, the fairer sex got into the act at the Round-Up. Cowgirls in the early days of the Round-Up could be as tough as men. In 1914 Bertha Blanchett, wife of cowboy Del Blanchett, came within 12 points of winning the all-around title.

Midway through the Round-Up’s colorful history, a Eugene newspaper summed it up with a characterization that remains applicable today: “In good times and bad, Pendleton has gone on with the Round-Up.”

“People over on the Umatilla have always been willing to take a chance. Maybe that’s the real cowboy spirit. Maybe it’s a little bit tougher brand of civic spirit. Anyhow, in Pendleton, the show goes on.”

Education:

The Pendleton School District offers education from kindergarten through high school (K-12). The Pendleton School District has an enrollment of approximately 3,264 students in the early learning center, three elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. There are approximately 214 kindergartners, 1,266 elementary students (grades 1-5), 752 middle school students (grades 6-8) and 1032 high school students (grades 9-12).

2017 - 2022 Strategic Plan -

The district has been developing its next 5-year Strategic Plan. The vision is “The Pendleton School District is a place where I belong, where I can succeed!”
The PSD has distinct advantages not always found in districts of a similar size.
Students in Pendleton schools usually score well on state achievement tests. Traditionally, those students who plan to attend college score well above state and national scores on the SAT.
The PSD is staffed with many dedicated long-term employees.
The Pendleton schools have an outstanding music program with instruction in band, choir and orchestra at the middle and senior high schools.
Pendleton sports programs have long-standing reputations for winning, attributed in large part to the tremendous community pride, spirit and tradition. Many sports start at the grade school level and continue through high school with a positive attitude and thus a winning program.
The district also has many school-related clubs, organizations and extracurricular activities that give students the opportunity to be involved in their schools and community. An aggressive DARE program, character education program and gang awareness education is stressed at all levels.
Eastern Promise is a commitment and promise between Eastern Oregon University, Blue Mountain Community College, Treasure Valley Community College and the InterMountain Education Service District to work with, collaborate with, and partner with PK-12 Schools to promote the values of education and to advance the number of students who graduate from High School in rural Oregon ready to attend, and eventually graduate from, a post-secondary educational institution.
Currently in the Pendleton School District, Eastern Promise is evident in several areas. PSD is participating in an Academic Momentum Program starting in 5th Grade at all of our elementary schools. At Pendleton High School, students are also involved in Eastern Promise through the Success 101 class for freshman and a variety of opportunities to earn college credit.

Travel/Airport:

The Eastern Oregon Regional Airport is the largest public airport in Northeast Oregon (east of Portland). This city-owned airport located three miles northwest of Pendleton, Oregon. The airport covers 2,273 acres at an elevation of 1,497 feet above sea level. The airport is centrally located between Portland, Spokane, Boise, Salt Lake City and Seattle.

Umatilla County:

Umatilla County was created on September 27, 1862, out of a portion of Wasco County. Umatilla is an Indian term meaning “rippling water” or “water rippling over sand” and has provided the name both for the county and its major river. Lewis and Clark and pioneers traveling the Oregon Trail passed through the area. The gold rush of 1862 brought miners and stock raisers to the mountains and grasslands of Umatilla County. The county expanded after the coming of the railroad in 1881 and the area was open to the development of dry land wheat farming. The fertile land of Umatilla County gives a strongly agricultural base to the county’s economy. Fruit, grain, timber, cattle, and sheep are important agricultural products. Recreation, primarily in the Blue Mountains, and tourism, most notably for the annual Pendleton Round-Up rodeo, are also important to the local economy. The County contains 3,231 square miles and is bordered by the Columbia River on the north, Morrow County on the west, Grant County on the south, and Union and Wallowa Counties on the east.
Originally, Marshall Station was designated as the temporary county seat, followed by Umatilla City in 1865. Today, Pendleton acts as the county seat, due to an 1868 vote leading to its election after a population shift to the area.
Though Lewis and Clark and Oregon Trail pioneers passed through Umatilla County, it didn’t truly expand until the arrival of the railroad in 1881, which opened the area for the development of dryland wheat farming. The County’s economy has a strong agricultural base with fruit, grain, timber, cattle, and sheep being important products.

Resources:

Climate: http://www.homefacts.com/ 
School District: http://www.pendleton.k12.or.us/ 
History of Pendleton: http://www.pendleton.or.us/history 
Pendleton Round-Up: http://www.pendletonroundup.com/p/About/147 
Umatilla County: http://www.co.umatilla.or.us/history.html

Offered by:
The Whitney Land Company

Todd Longgood, Broker
Email Todd

Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing.  A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.

NOTICE
All of the information within this sales package has been gathered from State, County and City records and officials as well as others who are deemed reliable; however, the broker and agents can not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information herein contained. It is also subject to change, prior sale or withdrawal.