Heppner, Morrow County, Oregon
The O’Brien Ranch, located in the Eastern Oregon town of
Heppner, is currently a working ranch consisting of 6,385 acres.
It is located on Little Butter Creek, which runs through the
middle of the property. The ranch has good paved road access and
is situated 26 miles south of Hermiston and 22 miles north of
Heppner. This property consists of irrigated bottom land with
excellent water rights with the excess being range land. There
are three homes located on the property with working cattle
facilities, horse/calving barn and a shop. The O’Brien Ranch has
been family owned for multiple generations and is a great spring
and fall grazing operation for cattle with generally mild winter
Access is off Little Butter Creek Road, a paved road.
Distances to Other Cities:
Heppner, OR – 22 miles
Hermiston, OR – 26 miles
OR – 49.8miles
Portland, OR – 222 miles
Bend, OR – 192 miles
T1SR27E, TL 200- 2,320 acres
T1SR27E, TL 1000- 440 acres
T1SR28E, TL 600- 3,465 acres
T1SR28E, TL 1100- 160 acres
This home is operational, with some work needed.
60 X 120’ shop with concrete floor, work shop. Has been
traditionally used for grain storage.
36’ X 48’ barn with sliding doors on both ends, connected to
The working corrals are operational.
Deer, elk, and upland birds are numerous on the ranch. The
property is eligible for 5 Landowner Preference tags.
There is power located on the property with all
improvements/electrical services maintained by Columbia
Little Butter Creek:
Butter Creek is a 57-mile long creek in
the U.S. state of Oregon. The source of the creek is at an
elevation of 5,034 feet in Umatilla National Forest, while the
mouth is at an elevation of 535 feet upstream of Hermiston,
Oregon. Butter Creek has a 465-square-mile watershed and is a
tributary of the Umatilla River.
This ranch has a spring and fall grazing program in place.
With the mild winters and irrigated bottoms for a hay base,
winter cattle feeding also take place on the ranch.
The property is completely fenced with well-maintained
perimeter fencing and interior fencing.
Heppner, Oregon gets 14 inches of rain, on average, per year.
The US average is 39 inches of rain per year.
averages 12 inches of snow per year. The US average is 26 inches
of snow per year.
On average, there are 194 sunny days
per year in Heppner. The US average is 205 sunny days.
Summer High: the July high is around 86
Winter Low: the January low is
Rainfall: An average year of
rainfall for the area consists of 13.97 annual inches of
Elevation ranges from 1780’ to 2600’
2017/2018 taxes: $6,080.21
The purpose of the Exclusive Farm Use
Zone is to preserve, protect and maintain agricultural lands for
farm use, consistent with historical, existing and future needs,
including economic needs, which pertain to the production of
agricultural products. The EFU Zone is also intended to allow
other uses that are compatible with agricultural activities,
such as forest use, fish and wildlife habitat, and to maintain,
improve, and utilize the quality of air, water and land
resources of the county. It is also the purpose of the EFU Zone
to qualify farms for farm use valuation under the provisions of
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) Chapter 308. The EFU Zone has been
applied to lands designated as Agriculture in the Comprehensive
Plan (except for lands Zoned Space Age Industrial). The
provisions of the EFU Zone reflect the agricultural policies of
the Comprehensive Plan as well as the requirements of ORS
Chapter 215 and Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) Chapter 660
Division 33. The minimum parcel size and other standards
established by this Zone are intended to promote commercial
Seller believes, but will not warrant that it owns 100% of
the appurtenant subsurface mineral rights which will convey with
the sale. Buyers are encouraged to retain legal counsel for the
purposes of confirming mineral rights ownership.
Pendleton Round Up:
The first Pendleton Round-Up was to be “a
frontier exhibition of picturesque pastimes, Indian and military
spectacles, cowboy racing and bronco busting for the
championship of the Northwest.” It turned out to be that and
more. Following a July 4th celebration in 1909 consisting of
bronc riding, horse races by Indians and NonIndians, Indian
feasts and war dances, greased pig contests, sack races, foot
races and fireworks, some community and area leaders conceived
the idea of an annual event to be known as the Pendleton
Round-Up. Also, at that time, the Let’er Buck slogan, which is
symbolic of the Round-Up, was inspired. It was decided to stage
the Round-Up some time around the middle of September to allow
the grain farmers time to complete their harvest, and the
livestock people an opportunity to make a late summer check-up.
The Round-Up was incorporated as a non-profit organization with
papers signed July 29, 1910. The corporation’s original legal
title was “Northwestern Frontier Exhibition Association.” Roy
Raley was elected as the first Round-Up president.
For the initial show, all stores closed.
“The largest crowd in Pendleton’s history,” 7,000 strong, showed
up for the first show on September 29, 1910, a newspaper writer
reported. “The words ‘Pendleton’ and Round-Up’ are on the lips
of thousands and will continue to be for months and years to
come… The Round-Up is a whirlwind success.” Souvenir program
from The 1913 Round-Up. Grow it did.
Til Taylor replaced Roy Raley as
president after the 1911 show. Early growth and acceptance of
the Round-Up was beyond all expectations. The old wooden
grandstand and bleachers were completed in a few short years and
were capable of seating over 20,000 spectators. Two decades
later, patrons showed up from 36 states and eight foreign
countries. Following two years in which the
Round-Up was not held, because of World
War II, attendance climbed again, eventually reaching 50,000 or
more for the four-day show. “Success bred success and Round-Up
stayed in high gear,” as stated in the book “Let ‘er Buck! A
history of Pendleton Round-Up.”
The key to the success of the rodeo and
its many attendant activities is community participation through
the efforts of its many volunteers. Indian participation has
also been a strong attraction, whether in the Round-Up arena, at
Happy Canyon, in the Indian Village or the Westward Ho! Parade.
Long before women’s lib, the fairer sex got into the act at the
Round-Up. Cowgirls in the early days of the Round-Up could be as
tough as men. In 1914 Bertha Blanchett, wife of cowboy Del
Blanchett, came within 12 points of winning the all-around
History of Heppner, Oregon:
Native American Settlement:
Native Americans lived and traveled along
the land between the Columbia Gorge and the Blue Mountains for
more than 10,000 years prior to European-American settlement.
Ancient petroglyphs have been found approximately 45 miles north
of Heppner in Irrigon and Boardman. In 1855, the U.S. Government
and the predominant tribes in the region—the Cayuse, Umatilla,
and Walla Walla—signed a treaty whereby the tribes gave up, or
ceded, to the United States more than 6.4 million acres in what
is now northeastern Oregon and southeastern Washington.
Prior to Heppner’s founding in 1872,
European-American ranchers used the area as sheep and cattle
range as early as 1858. Records suggest these early cattlemen
found abundant rye grass along creek bottoms.
Heppner was originally called Standsbury
Flats for George W. Standsbury, one of the first
European-American settlers in the area. In 1872, Colonel (Col.)
Jackson Lee Morrow, a merchant, entered into a partnership with
Henry Heppner, a prominent Jewish businessman, and they built a
store on the crossing of the present May and Main streets. Soon
thereafter, a mail and stagecoach line began operations between
Pendleton and The Dalles and passed through Heppner. Col.
Jackson Lee Morrow was later elected to the Oregon legislative
assembly and was instrumental in helping to carve out a new
county for Heppner from neighboring Umatilla County and a
portion of Wasco County. The assembly named the new county in
Heppner was designated the temporary
county seat at the time the county was created and narrowly
defeated nearby Lexington in an election held in 1886 to
determine the permanent county seat. Heppner was incorporated in
the following year on February 9, 1887.
In 1888, the Oregon Railroad and
Navigation Company completed a railroad spur from the Columbia
River up the Willow Creek drainage to Heppner.
Historic Morrow County Courthouse:
The Historic Morrow County Courthouse was
built in 1902-03 and is one of the oldest continuously used
courthouses in Oregon. In 1985, the courthouse was listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.
Flood of June 1903:
Heppner was almost destroyed by a flash
flood on Sunday, June 14, 1903. The flood was precipitated by a
sudden cloudburst and accompanying hail that caused a debris dam
collapse and flash flooding, notably on Willow Creek. A wall of
water and debris swept down the creeks and canyons and through
the city. It has been estimated that 238 people (a quarter of
the city’s population) drowned, making it the deadliest natural
disaster in Oregon’s history. Property damage was reported at
nearly $1 million. The nearby cities of Ione and Lexington also
sustained significant damage. In 1983, the Willow Creek Dam at
the outskirts of the city was finished. Post-flood Recovery: The
railroad and a growing network of roads had by the early decades
of the 20th century made Heppner a trade center and distribution
point for regional farm products including wheat, alfalfa,
sheep, cattle, horses, and hogs. Despite the flood and two fires
in 1918 that destroyed City Hall, the Palace Hotel, the library,
many businesses, and more than 30 homes, the community rebuilt.
One of its creations, the Heppner Hotel, opened in 1920 and,
housing a variety of businesses over the years, it served as a
community gathering place through 1972, when its last restaurant
Morrow County is a county in the U.S. state of Oregon. As of
the 2010 census, the population was 11,173. The county seat is
Heppner. The county is named for one of its first white
settlers, Jackson L. Morrow, who was a member of the state
legislature when the county was created. Half of the Umatilla
Chemical Depot, which includes the Umatilla Chemical Agent
Disposal Facility, and the Naval Weapons Systems Training
Facility Boardman are located within the county.
Morrow County is part of the Pendleton–Hermiston, OR,
Micropolitan Statistical Area. It is located on the south side
of the Columbia River and is included in the eight-county
definition of Eastern Oregon.
Morrow County School District: Morrow County School District is
located in rural north central Oregon. Morrow County is bordered
on the north by the beautiful Columbia River and by the Umatilla
National Forest on the southern border. The county encompasses
more than 2,000 square miles with a growing population of over
11,000 in the four main communities of Boardman and Irrigon,
along the Columbia River, and Heppner and Lexington, in the
foothills of the Blue Mountains.
As one of the largest wheat producing areas in the nation, the
county’s economy is rooted in agriculture. Major industries
include timber, energy, food processing and agriculture such as
potatoes, corn, watermelons, grapes, wheat, canola, sheep and
cattle. A mild dry climate with plenty of sunshine offers lots
of outdoor opportunities for summer and winter activities,
including skiing, snowmobiling, water sports, sailing, hiking,
hunting, fishing and golf. The people of Morrow County School
District have a passion for the education of all children. Our
communities care about and support their schools. Morrow County
Schools serve almost 2,200 K-12 students with three elementary
schools, two intermediate schools, three high schools, and one
alternative school. The student population in Boardman and
Irrigon is diverse and growing. The largest minority group is
Hispanic. Schools in Heppner are smaller and have more stable
The dedicated seven-member board, together
with teachers and staff, works very hard to prepare Morrow
County students for the 21st Century and to make parents and
patrons proud to call Morrow County home.
School: Grades 1-6
Heppner Jr./Sr. High School: Grades 7-12
The Whitney Land
Timothy 'Scott' Coe, Broker
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office
to schedule a showing. A
listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.
All of the information within this sales package has been gathered
from State, County and City records and officials as well as others
who are deemed reliable; however, the broker and agents can not
guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information herein
contained. It is also subject to change, prior sale or withdrawal.