Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
Old Rattray Ranch East
Price $ 700,491.00
Identification of Subject Property:
Distances to Other Cities:
The Dalles, OR 70.2 miles
Demographics of Condon, Oregon:
As of the census of 2010, there were 682 people, 357 households, and 184 families residing in the city. The population density was 821.7 inhabitants per square mile (317.3/km2). There were 455 housing units at an average density of 548.2 per square mile (211.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.2% White, 0.1% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.9% from other races, and 0.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 357 households of which 16.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.3% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 48.5% were not families. 45.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 24.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.85 and the average family size was 2.54.
Public schools located in the city of Condon and are part of the Condon School District. Schools: The following are schools in Condon: Elementary (K-5) Middle (6-8) High (9-12)
History of Condon, Oregon:
Condon was the southern terminus of the Condon Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1883, a local homesteader named Potter platted the land around a spring on his property. The spring, which emerged from a bed of black basalt, was known to pioneer ranchers in the area as Summit Springs. Experiencing financial difficulty, Potter surrendered the site to the legal firm Condon and Cornish from Arlington. Harvey C. Condon, a member of the firm, was a nephew of Oregon geologist Thomas Condon. Condon and Cornish sold lots in the town site and in 1884, resident David B. Trimble applied for a post office and became its first postmaster. He named the post office Condon after Harvey C. Condon. Condon Air Force Station was a radar station near the city that operated from 1951 to 1970.
The land is zoned Exclusive Farm Use (EFU).
Mineral rights are available. Any mineral or geothermal rights owned by the seller are included as part of the property being offered for sale.
History of Gilliam County, Oregon
The Oregon Legislative Assembly created Gilliam County on February 25, 1885, from the eastern third of Wasco County after residents complained that they were too far from their county seat in The Dalles. The first Gilliam county seat was at Alkali, now Arlington. The question of a permanent county seat was placed on general election ballots in 1886, 1888, and again in 1890, when voters chose to move the county seat to Condon, known to early settlers as “Summit Springs.” Once the question of the location of the county seat was settled, voters in Gilliam County proved reluctant to provide a courthouse in Condon. The county government operated out of a two-room house until 1903, when the county court appropriated money to construct a courthouse. This courthouse burned down in 1954 and was replaced the following year with the current courthouse.
Thereafter, apparently nothing much happened until the Shepherds Flat Wind Farm, an 845 megawatt (MW) wind farm, began construction in Eastern Oregon, in both Gilliam and Morrow counties, near Arlington. Approved in 2008 by state regulators, groundbreaking came in 2009. The wind farm was being built by Caithness Energy using General Electric (GE) 2.5 MW wind turbines, and it will supply electricity to Southern California Edison. In April, 2011, Google announced they had invested $100 million in the project. The wind farm was estimated to have an economic impact of $16 million annually for Oregon.
Gilliam County History: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilliam
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.