Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
John Day, Oregon
Price $ 525,000.00
This property, in Grant County, Oregon, near the town of John Day, consists of 168.6 acres. Currently, the property has 4 irrigated acres fenced into 4 pastures. This ranch property features the unique landscape that provides excellent balance of horse property with ample room to roam with the attached acres. A true recreation property with exceptional balance, the ranch is abundant with wildlife, including mule deer, and provides excellent shed antler hunting in the early spring.
Identification of Subject Property:
Section 26, T13S R30E TL1700, TL301– 168.6 acres
Location of Subject Property:
Grant County, Oregon
Distances to Other Cities:
John Day, OR—6 miles
The 1993 ranch-style manufactured home provides one floor of modern home space. The home consists of a family room, dining room, kitchen, master bedroom, two other bedrooms, two bathrooms, and laundry and entrance room. Heating consists of a woodstove, oil stove, and electric furnace for heat and air-conditioning.
The 4-bay shop is 30x48 with concrete floors and a wood stove. It has 220-volt power with wood stove for heat. There is an office built into the shop that is currently used by owners.
The 30x60 horse barn has a tack room, 5 horse stalls and a loft for hay storage.
The horse shed is a 3-stall small barn with area for hay storage. This shed also has 110-volt power and an attached chicken coop.
The utility shed is in the back yard of the home and consists of a sheet rocked room that the owners currently use for a hobby room.
The property has a horse riding area with panels. Fencing: Fencing throughout the property consists of barbwire fence and panel corrals. The property boundaries are fenced. •
Tax lot 301 is zoned Rural Residential 10.
Mineral rights are available. Any mineral or geothermal rights owned by the seller are included as part of the property being offered for sale.
Demographics of John Day, Oregon:
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,744 people, 794 households, and 450 families residing in the city. The population density was 932.6 inhabitants per square mile (360.1/km2). There were 895 housing units at an average density of 478.6 per square mile (184.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.4% White, 0.5% African American, 1.5% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.0% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.7% of the population.
There were 794 households of which 26.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.4% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.3% were non-families. 37.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.13 and the average family size was 2.79.
The median age in the city was 42.9 years. 22.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.6% were from 25 to 44; 25.5% were from 45 to 64; and 22% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.6% male and 52.4% female.
Public schools are in the city of John Day and are part of the Grant School District.
Schools: The following are schools in John Day:
The first homestead staked in Grant County (what was then Wasco County), in 1862 by B. C. Trowbridge, was within the limits of the present city of John Day. The Eastern Oregon community was not as quick to grow as neighboring Canyon City, which was the county seat and center of the bustling mining industry in the area. Incrementally, local merchants and residents began relocating to John Day—primarily each time after severe fires in Canyon City: The Grant County Courthouse burned in 1870, Chinatown burned in 1885, and fires in 1898 and 1937 devastated Canyon City’s downtown.
The first post office at “John Day City” was established in 1865, but was discontinued in 1871. It was reestablished in 1879 with the name John Day. In April 1900, a local committee was elected, and the Oregon Legislature approved an Act incorporating the city of John Day on February 23, 1901. The largest part of early John Day was composed of the Chinese community, commonly called Tiger Town. In 1882, the Advent Christian Church in John Day had 547 members, 382 of whom were Chinese (and a number of Chinese residents were interred in the Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery). By 1887, John Day was home to nearly 1,000 Chinese immigrants, who had been attracted to the area by a gold rush 20 years earlier, many of whom were displaced by the 1885 fire in Canyon City.
A trading post built in the area in the 1860s along The Dalles Military Road was purchased in 1887 by two Chinese immigrants, Lung On and Ing Hay. They converted the trading post into a clinic, general store, and social center for the community, which continued to operate until the 1940s. In the 1970s the building, then the property of the city of John Day, was converted into a museum called the Kam Wah Chung & Co. Museum. It is now operated in conjunction with the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and is one of the premier surviving examples of a 19th-century Chinese apothecary shop. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2005.
History of Grant County, Oregon:
Grant County was established on October 14, 1864, from parts of old Wasco and old Umatilla counties. Prior to its creation, cases brought to court were tried in The Dalles, county seat of the vast Wasco County. The great distance to The Dalles made law enforcement a difficult problem, and imposed a heavy burden on citizens who had a need to transact business at the courthouse. In 1889, more than half of the southern part of the original Grant County was taken to form Harney County. Also in 1899, a small part of northwestern Grant County was taken (along with parts of Crook and Gilliam counties) to form Wheeler County.
After gold was discovered in 1862 on Whiskey Flat, it has been estimated that within ten days 1,000 miners were camped along Canyon Creek. This increased population created a need for county government. Grant County’s government operates in accordance with the Oregon Constitution which was ratified by the People of Oregon in November 1857, and the revised Statutes of Oregon. It employs the old-western county government system: the County Court, with a County Judge and two Commissioners. While the County Court no longer exercises much judicial authority, it serves as the executive branch of county government. There are no parishes or villages in Grant County, and while the term “town” is often used locally to describe one of the incorporated cities, surveyed townships have nothing to do with political divisions or organization in Oregon.
The third man to serve as County Judge of Grant County was Cincinnatus Hiner “Joaquin” Miller (1837– 1913), the noted poet, playwright, and western naturalist, called the “Poet of the Sierras” and the “Byron of the Rockies.”
The county seat is Canyon City, which served as the chief community of the county for many years. In 1864, when the county was organized, Canyon City is said to have boasted the largest population of any community in Oregon. Mining and ranching, along with timber and then the service and public works that followed, brought people into the area and communities grew around the natural centers of industry and agriculture. Canyon City hosts an annual summer festival called “’62 Days” (referencing the local gold discovery in 1862) to celebrate its history and residents.
Since the 1930s, the city of John Day has served as the main economic center of the county, and boasts the largest population.
Gilliam County History:
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.