Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
South Umpqua River Ranch
Canyonvill, Douglas County, Oregon
The South Umpqua River Ranch in Southern Oregon is a diverse mix of irrigated cropland and hillside pasture. The ranch sits along the banks of the South Umpqua River, above Canyonville. The South Umpqua River provides fishing opportunities for trout, smallmouth bass and steelhead. Historically the ranch has been operated as a working ranch, including irrigated crops and cow/calf pairs. Excellent soil type, improved irrigation and older water rights make this ranch unique to Douglas County.
Canyonville, Douglas County - Located near the intersection of the Days Creek Cutoff Road and Tiller Trail Highway east of Canyonville, this ranch provides year-round county road access.
Currently the farm land is leased through December 31, 2023. Lease payments are due January 15th and October 15th of each year. Within the lease, Tenant may use any irrigation system Lessor has constructed and installed on the Property. Additionally, Tenant will install and maintain ownership of a pivot irrigation system during the term of lease. Tenant has installed an 8 tower Valley pivot. Upon expiration of lease, Tenant may either remove the pivot system, or, at Tenant’s discretion, sell the system to Lessor. Copy of the executed lease will be provided to qualified buyers. Currently, the irrigated lands are being utilized for hay production. Through the years, the ranch operated 125 cow/calf pairs year-round.
Certificated Water Rights:
94.90 acres from the waters of the South Umpqua River with a priority date of 1927 and 1952. 41.00 acres from the waters of the South Umpqua River with a priority date of 1987.
The property provides multiple domestic wells; however, one primary well services the property. A water use agreement is in place between the users.
The ranch has 5 acres dedicated to two homesite areas. The first home is a 2,930-square-foot, older, singlefamily residence constructed in early 1900s and was a school house during the early years. Over time, it has been added onto, updated and remodeled. Most major additions were completed in 1972 and 1994. The floor plan has a living room, kitchen, dining area, den, three bedrooms, three bathrooms and a utility room. Electric forced air heat and a wood stove heat the home. It has double paned vinyl windows and an attached 147 sq. ft. enclosed porch that connects to a single-car garage with concrete floor. Currently, the house is being rented out for a monthly fee.
Feeder Barn: 36’X60’ pole frame building with dirt floor and metal roof located east of the main house.
Shop / Storage: 18’X24’ room attached to feeder barn
Shop Building: 35’x90’ steel framed building with concrete floor, fluorescent lighting, two sections insulated and 2,500-gallon domestic water holding tank.
Milk Parlor Building: 27’x42’ building constructed with concrete block foundation and walls with concrete floor. Historically the building was used as milk parlor for the old dairy on the property. Currently used for storage. Attached is an 18’x26’ carport. Hay Storage Building: 32’x48’ pole building open on all sides with metal roof and concrete floor
Hay Storage Building: 25’x50’ pole building
Hay Barn: 58’x120’ pole framed barn with metal siding and metal roof. Three of the sides are metal while the front has sliding doors. Includes dirt floor.
Feeder Barns: Two feeder barns on the hillsides include a 56’x60’ pole barn with a metal roof and a 56’x96’ pole barn with a metal roof.
The ranch has perimeter fencing and the hill land is crossed fenced into multiple pastures. The fencing consists of a combination of woven and barbed wire.
The ranch is zoned Farm Forest, FF and Exclusive Farm Use-Grazing, FG.
The average temperatures range from 42-95 degrees in the summer months and 27-68 degrees in the winter months. Elevation is 750 feet. Rainfall average of 30 inches per year. •
2016 - $4,823.19
The owner does not warrant that there are any mineral rights available. However, any mineral or geothermal rights owned by the seller are included as part of the property being offered for sale.
Distances to Other Cities:
Roseburg - 26 miles
With river frontage on the South Umpqua River, the recreational opportunities are plentiful with fishing for trout, smallmouth bass and steelhead being the primary target. The South Umpqua River is a tributary of the Umpqua River, approximately 115 miles long, in southwestern Oregon. It drains a portion of the Cascade Range east of Roseburg. One of the main tributaries of the South Umpqua River is Cow Creek, which also flows west from the Cascade Mountains, but South of Canyonville. On its westward journey, the Cow Creek more or less runs parallel to the South Umpqua River, with an East-West mountain ridge separating them.
Under the ODFW game management guidelines, the ranch falls within two hunting units, 22 “Dixon” and 23 “Melrose”. As part of the Land Owner Preference tag system, the ranch qualifies for 2 LOP tags. The current owners commonly harvest Roosevelt elk, deer, turkeys and bear.
Other area adventures include hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, photography, fishing, and sightseeing opportunities in the spectacular settings of the North Umpqua Trail in the Cascade mountains of the Pacific Northwest.
The Umpqua River is one of America’s premier fishing rivers. Originating at Diamond Lake in the Cascade Mountains, the Umpqua flows through the Oregon Coast Range to meet the Pacific Ocean near Reedsport Oregon. The river contains a variety of fish species and supports year-round fishing. Boat ramps are numerous all along the length of the lower river. The upper two forks of the Umpqua River east of Roseburg are also popular for fishing.
Rock Creek Fish Hatchery raises spring Chinook salmon, steelhead and rainbow trout year-round. Small fish to adult fish can be viewed at the hatchery, as well as feeding adult rainbow trout in a holding pond. The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife maintains a fish counting station at Winchester Dam, located approximately 118 river miles from the Pacific Ocean, near the town of Roseburg on the North Umpqua River.
The Galesville Reservoir is located on the upper portion of Cow Creek, a tributary of the South Umpqua River. It was built in 1986 and is the largest dam in the Umpqua Basin. Canyon Creek flows through Canyonville, where it joins the South Umpqua River.
For centuries. the South Umpqua River and Cow Creek were the homelands for the Umpqua Indians. However, gold was discovered on the South Umpqua River in 1848 causing an influx of gold miners and the homesteaders found the rich agricultural land of the area desirable.
Roseburg area schools have a reputation for excellence and support from their patrons. Roseburg School District No. 4 operates one four-year high school, two middle schools and nine elementary schools. There are several Private schools, nursery and daycare facilities, as well as Phoenix School, a non-profit alternative school for bright under-achievers, grades 7-12. Umpqua Community College is located five miles north of Roseburg on the banks of the North Umpqua River. A two-year public, comprehensive institution, UCC offers educational progress in adult basic instruction, technical, vocational, liberal arts and pre-professional transfer courses. Enrollment is approximately 1,200 full-time and 15,225 part-time students pursuing academic and life-enriching classes.
Canyonville is approximately 100 miles north of the Oregon/California border and 203 miles south of Portland along Interstate 5.
The first white visitors were by Hudson Bay Company trappers and Alexander Roderick McCloud en route to California in 1828. The second known group of travelers to come this way, headed by Ewing Young, were driving 700 head of cattle from California to Oregon’s Willamette Valley. This was during the summer of 1837; and despite the crude trails, Indian attacks and other difficulties, he arrived at his destination with 600 head of the animals.
In 1846, Jesse and Lindsey Applegate and others camped here while seeking a new route to Oregon from the East; hence, the Applegate Trial. The first recorded passage of wagons through the Canyon Mountain Pass were in 1843. This trail was steep, rocky and treacherous for the wagons that were often disassembled and let slowly down the steep inclines at the end of ropes. Quite often the canyon was littered with abandoned equipment due to animals becoming very weak. The passage of the “dread canyon” on the Applegate Trial was a part of the north/south journey to be feared by most.
By 1851 a small log cabin with a dirt floor was located where 5th Street is now which became Canyonville’s first store. The proprietor was Joseph Knott, whose stock consisted of tobacco, overalls and whiskey......mostly whiskey. Joseph Knott and Joel Perkins also operated a ferry across the South Umpqua calling the settlement Kenyonville.
Jesse Roberts purchased the business and property in 1858 and platted the town site and named it Canyonville. He also built a hotel and a grist mill. The first post office was established in 1852. As early as 1853 the first sawmill was in operation, manufacturing flooring for the homes of the new settlers. In 1852, a rush began when gold-bearing quartz was discovered and Congress appropriated $120,000 to build a military road from California to Oregon. The road was not completed until 1858 and built under the supervision of General Joseph “Fighting Joe” Hooker. This became the main road to California until the railroad was built. During the gold strike Canyonville became an important weigh station and rest stop, supplying miners, fur traders and early immigrants.
Dr. Wm. F. Colvig was Canyonville’s first physician and druggist. He performed his first surgery in early October, 1855 on Wm. “Long Bill” Russell who suffered several bullet wounds from hostile Indians. Canyonville’s first wedding took place in 1858 when Miss Phoebe Thrush became Mrs. Isaac Boyle. Lawrence Boyle, descendant of this family donated the land for Pioneer Park and also for the Pioneer Museum. The first school was established in 1863 with Binger Herman as teacher. Students included such names as Weaver, Fullerton, Gazley, Colvig, Yokum, Willis, Bollenbaugh and others whose descendants still live in the area. The Union Saloon was built in 1866 and in the 1920’s the Beal Brothers built the Gray Stone….. Hotel. Just past (and possibly part of the same lot) was the location of the famous overland (Canyonville) Hotel where President R.B. Hays had lunch on September 29, 1880.
In 1923, Rev. A. M. Shaffer was traveling through with his family and stopped to work in the fruit harvest. He remained here and built the Canyonville Bible Academy (now known as Canyonville Christian Academy) which is still in operation today under the direction of his grandson, Roger Shaffer. Although it was not dedicated until the summer of 1876, the Canyonville Methodist Church was built sometime in the late 1860’s. It is still being used today and has been placed on the National Historic Register.
Canyonville is the third oldest settlement in Oregon and was incorporated in 1901. The South Umpqua Historical Society has been successful in getting the Pioneer Museum in operation. This museum, located at 421 W.W. 5th Street offers more information about Canyonville’s Pioneers of the Past.
Douglas County History:
Douglas County was named for U.S. Senator Steven A. Douglas (1813-1861). Senator Douglas was a Democratic candidate for the Presidency against Abraham Lincoln in 1860, and he was an enthusiastic Oregon supporter in the Congress. When first created on January 24, 1851, the County was part of Umpqua County. On January 7, 1852, the Territorial Legislature created new boundaries and renamed it Douglas County.
The County extends from sea level at the Pacific Ocean to 9,182 foot Mt. Thielsen in the Cascade Mountains. It has the entire Umpqua River watershed within its boundaries, and it contains nearly 2.8 million acres of commercial forest lands.
Approximately 25% of Douglas County’s labor force is employed in the forest products industry which includes numerous sawmills and veneer plants, as well as one pulp and one particle board plant, and numerous shingle, shake, pole and other wood products plants. Agriculture is a crucial factor in the economy with field crops, orchards, and livestock as major products. The County Parks Department, the first in Oregon, has over 50 parks in the system. They range from large facilities with overnight camping to small boat launching access points.
Over 50% of the land area of the County is owned by the Federal Government. These lands are managed by the U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land management. The 2010 census counted 107,667 people in Douglas County. There are 12 incorporated cities in the County: Canyonville, Drain, Elkton, Glendale, Myrtle Creek, Oakland, Reedsport, Riddle, Roseburg, Sutherlin, Winston, and Yoncalla.
Todd Longgood, Broker
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.