Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
West Birch Creek Property
Umatilla County, Pilot Rock, Oregon
Price $ 300,000
The West Birch Creek Property Parcel offers 271.35 acres of scattered timber and native grass landscape. The property is zoned EFU, which qualifies it as buildable, with many locations with picturesque views of the Blue Mountains. Historically, the land has been grazed with cattle. Average spring weather favors high-volume vegetation and the proximity to the Blue Mountains provides excellent recreational opportunity.
The West Birch Creek Property is located 12 miles south of Pilot Rock, Oregon. The property is in Umatilla Co
Access is off West Birch Creek Road, a partially paved county road which turns into gravel.
Diistances to Other Cities:
Pilot Rock, OR: 12 Miles
There are no improvements on the property.
The property has no power located on it at this time. Power is available from Umatilla Electric Co-Op on a line that is located between the property and the adjacent property.
Seasonal water is located on the property in springs.
Historically, cattle have been grazed on the property.
The timber is a scattered pine tree and fir mix that overlooks West Birch Creek.
The property perimeter is completely fenced.
Elevation ranges between 3,300 and 4,300 feet.
Average annual precipitation - rainfall: 14.48 inches
Exclusive Farm Use (EFU): The purposes of the EFU, Exclusive Farm Use Zone, are to preserve and maintain agricultural lands for farm use, including range and grazing uses, consistent with existing and future needs for agricultural products, forest and open spaces; to conserve and protect scenic resources; to maintain and improve the quality of air, water and land resources of the county and to establish criteria and standards for farm and non-farm uses and related and supportive uses which are deemed appropriate. It is also the purpose of this use zone to provide the automatic farm use valuation for farms, which qualify under the provisions of ORS Chapter 308. The provisions in this use zone are subject to automatic legislative amendments as described in §152.004. (Ord. 2005-02, passed 1-5-05; Ord. 2012-02 passed 1-26-12)
USES PERMITTED OUTRIGHT: In an EFU zone, the following uses and their accessory uses are permitted without a zoning permit, pursuant to § 152.007: (A) Farm use, as defined in ORS 215.203 and set out in § 152.003, except the dwellings and other buildings customarily provided in conjunction with farm use referred to in ORS 215.283(1). For the purpose of this section, farm use does not include customary accessory uses and structures (e.g. corrals, pens, barns, sheds, maintenance buildings, farm owned or personal use grain bins or elevators and chemical storage), which are permitted subject to approval of a zoning permit per § 152.026. Notwithstanding (A) above, the following are not permitted uses in the EFU Zone: (1) A new dwelling used in conjunction with a marijuana crop; (2) A farm stand in conjunction with a marijuana crop; and (3) A commercial activity carried on in conjunction with a marijuana crop. (B) The propagation or harvesting of a forest product. (C) Onsite filming and activities accessory to onsite filming for 45 days or less as provided for in ORS 215.306. (D) Temporary public road and highway detours that will be abandoned and restored to original condition or use at such time as no longer needed. Umatilla County Development Code, Revision Date: August 22, 2018, Page 63 of 443 (E) Projects specifically identified in the Transportation System Plan as not requiring further land use regulation. (Projects not specifically identified in TSP shall follow procedures for the Comprehensive Plan Amendment process, and the applicable land use approval.) (F) Landscaping as part of a transportation facility (G) Emergency measures necessary for the safety and protection of property. (H) Construction of a road as part of an approved land partition and consistent with the applicable land division regulations. (I) Utility facility service lines. Utility facility service lines are utility lines and accessory facilities or structures that end at the point where the utility service is received by the customer and that are located on one or more of the following: (1) A public right of way; (2) Land immediately adjacent to a public right of way, provided the written consent of all adjacent property owners has been obtained; or (3) The property to be served by the utility. (J) Maintenance or minor betterment of existing transmission lines and facilities of utility companies and agencies. (K) The transport of biosolids by vehicle to a tract on which the biosolids will be applied to the land under a license, permit or approval issued by the Department of Environmental Quality under ORS 454.695, 459.205, 468B.050, 468B.053 or 468B.055 or in compliance with rules adopted under ORS 468B.095. The transport and the land application are allowed outright. (L) Reconstruction or modification of public roads and highways, including the placement of utility facilities overhead and in the subsurface of public roads and highways along the public right of way, but not including the addition of travel lanes, where no removal or displacement of buildings would occur, or no new land parcels result. (M) Irrigation canals, delivery lines and those structures and accessory operational facilities associated with a district as defined in ORS 540.505. (N) Minor betterment of existing public road and highway related facilities such as maintenance yards, weigh stations and rest areas, within right of way existing as of July 1, 1987, and contiguous public owned property utilized to support the operation and maintenance of public roads and highways. (Ord 2002-08, passed 8-14-02; Ord. 2005- 02, passed 1-5-05; Ord. 2008-09, passed 6- 16-08; Ord. 2009-09, passed 12-8-09; Ord. 2012-02 passed 1-26-12, Ord. 2015-07, passed 9-22-15)Mineral Rights:
Any mineral or geothermal rights owned by seller are included as part of the property offered for sale.
Recreation and Wildlife:
Turkeys, mule deer, and whitetail deer and elk are abundant throughout the property.
History of Umatilla County:
Umatilla County was created on September 27, 1862, out of a portion of Wasco County. Umatilla is an Indian term meaning “rippling water” or “water rippling over sand” and has provided the name both for the county and its major river. Adjustments were made to the county’s boundaries following the creation of Grant, Morrow, Union, and Wallowa Counties. The county contains 3,231 square miles and is bounded by the Columbia River on the north, Morrow County on the west, Grant County on the south, and Union and Wallowa Counties on the east.
The legislative act that created Umatilla County designated Marshall Station as the temporary county seat. Umatilla City was chosen the county seat in an 1865 election. Population shifted to the north and east parts of the county due to the opening of the Pendleton area to wheat production. A subsequent election in 1868 resulted in the selection of Pendleton as the new county seat, supplanting both Marshall Station and Umatilla City.
The first courthouse was completed in 1866 in Umatilla City. The next courthouse, and the first built in Pendleton, was a wooden, two-story structure completed in 1869. In 1889 a three-story brick courthouse and jail was erected. A fourth courthouse was built on the site of the old courthouse in 1956 and is still in use today.
The government of Umatilla County consisted originally of a county judge, two county commissioners, clerk, and sheriff. The offices of treasurer, assessor, coroner, and superintendent of schools were added a short time after formation of the county. The county judge position was abolished, and a third commissioner was added in 1975.
Umatilla County is represented by Senate District 29; and Representative Districts 57 and 58; and the Second Congressional District. The first census of the Umatilla County in 1870 counted 2,916 inhabitants. The population has increased steadily with a 1997 census figure of 65,500 representing an increase of 10.6% over 1990.
The Umatilla Indian Reservation was established by the Treaty of Walla Walla in 1855. It became an 800 square mile home for the Umatillas, Walla Wallas, and Cayuse tribes and is located immediately southeast of Pendleton. The Umatilla Confederated Tribes have 1,400 enrolled members.
Lewis and Clark and pioneers traveling the Oregon Trail passed through the area. The gold rush of 1862 brought miners and stock raisers to the mountains and grasslands of Umatilla County. The county expanded after the coming of the railroad in 1881 and the area was open to the development of dry land wheat farming. The fertile land of Umatilla County gives a strongly agricultural base to the county’s economy. Fruit, grain, timber, cattle, and sheep are important agricultural products. Recreation, primarily in the Blue Mountains, and tourism, most notably for the annual Pendleton Round-Up rodeo, are also important to the local economy.
History of Pilot Rock:
Pilot Rock Beginnings Gold was discovered in the Blue Mountains in late 1861. This created a rush gold miner to the area. Three men arrived that winter. “Hookey” Burke, a freight hauler, decided to spend the winter at what is now Pilot Rock. Andrew Jackson Sturtevant, pushing a wheelbarrow towards the gold fields decided to stop there in 1862. And finally, John Alta Sylvester who thought he would cater to the wintering miners. Andrew Sturtevant was the most successful of the three, founding Pilot Rock. Sturtevant, was born in England. He arrived in America and headed westward arriving in Salem in 1861. He obtained a position as a teacher but decided that this was not the life for him. He headed for the Blue Mountains, and into the history books. Imagine pushing a wheelbarrow loaded with all your worldly goods all the way from Salem to Eastern Oregon, via the trail along the Columbia River! Working along the way or living off the land, Sturtevant followed the path of the wagon trains to arrive at Birch Creek to join Burke and Sylvester. While Burke was intent on establishing Mt. Pleasant, and Sylvester was developing Alta, Sturtevant set about platting Pilot Rock. In the end, it was Pilot Rock that ended up as a stagecoach stop and then to be designated as a post office. Much of Pilot Rock’s town proper is a result of Sturtevant’s work at platting the town site, acquiring land that he donated for the school as well as the Methodist Episcopal Church and parsonage in 1883. He served twice as County Superintendent of Schools and served as a member of the school board. Pilot Rock has the distinction of having School District No. 1 of Umatilla County. The town was platted in 1876. It was incorporated in 1903 and was re-incorporated in 1912, with a new charter drawn up to conform to the Oregon statutes.Education:
Pilot Rock School District: Pilot Rock School District is located approximately 15 miles south of Pendleton in Umatilla County near the foothills of the beautiful Blue Mountains. The District is comprised of two buildings - an elementary building serving students in grades K-6 and a Junior/Senior High School for students in grades 7-12. Approximately 375 students are enrolled in the District. The original senior high school was built in 1919 and now mainly serves junior high school students. A senior high school was built in 1955 and a connecting ramp between the two buildings was constructed in 1981. The current elementary building was opened in 1948 with an addition in 1962. The Pilot Rock staff is proud of the excellent education that it offers its students. The community is very supportive of its schools through volunteer activities, donations, and attendance at school events. It’s great to be a Rocket!Resources:
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.